Monday, September 6, 2010

Thanks

Well this afternoon's rain-out on an unseasonably cool Labour Day officially brings the 2010 season to an end. The Seals finished their second season in the GBL with a very respectable 45-43 record and a .511 winning percentage. That's a huge improvement from their .390 winning percentage (32-50) in their inaugural season.

The season was chock full of fantastic memories, including the first pennant race in Seals history. We at the Victoria Seals Baseball Blog have had a ton of fun covering the team this year, and I'd like to take this time to thank you, our loyal readers, for making all of this possible. Without your keen interest in the game of baseball, we'd be writing blog posts in a vacuum (If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?). Thanks to all of you who left so many thoughtful comments on our blog, especially our super-fans Annie, Hack and Tyler.

I'd like to send out a hearty thank you to Darren Parker, Mike Walker and the entire staff of the Victoria Seals Baseball Club. We truly appreciate your support and encouragement and you can be proud of assembling the finest organization in the Golden Baseball League.

Thanks also to the Seals' ace photographer, Jonathon Howe, for making our trips to the ballpark even more enjoyable. We're sure you'll do a great job this year over at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre.

Thanks to all of the Victoria Seals players for playing so hard while getting paid peanuts for their efforts. I'd like to give a special shout-out to Aaron Easton for his unmatched intensity on the mound, but laid-back demeanor off of it. It's guys like Aaron that make it fun to come to the ballpark.

I'd also like to thank my partners in crime, Bubba and Darth, for their excellent contributions to the blog. It's great having a team of bloggers with such diverse opinions but a common love of the game. As always, your friendship is truly appreciated (sniff, sniff, I must have something in my eye).

And last but certainly not least, I'd like to thank my spouse, Shirley for all of her love and support. This past year I spent many a night (and Sunday afternoon) at Royal Athletic Park and countless hours in front of the computer screen writing blog posts, sometimes well past midnight. Thanks for supporting me in this irrational (but rewarding) endeavor.

While the season may officially be over, we at the VSBB won't be packing it in until next spring. Whenever there is a shred of interesting news about the Victoria Seals, we'll be sure to post it here. Stay tuned.

There are probably others that I should be thanking, so please accept my apologies if I have missed you. Thanks again to everyone!!