- Isaac Hess took to the mound for the first time in 20 days on Canada Day and he looked a little rusty in the Seals' 7-6 loss to Tijuana. Look for Isaac to bounce back with a solid game in the near future. On the positive side, Hess did lay down a pair of near-perfect sacrifice bunts.
- Kyle Wilson (0-1, 9.69 ERA) was released on Wednesday night to make room for Hess on the Seals' roster. Wilson started the season well, but he gave up 10 earned runs against Yuma on June 5th and was never able to regain his early-season form.
- Brian Rios went 0-for-5 on Thursday, snapping his eight-game hitting streak.
- Josh Arhart extended his hitting streak to nine games by pounding a homer, double and single in the Canada Day matinée. The hits raised his batting average to .330 on the year.
- Ex-Seal Austin Bibens-Dirkx has been selected to the Southern League (AA) All-Star team. Bibens-Dirkx has posted a 5-3 record with a 3.47 ERA this season for the Tennessee Smokies. Those numbers pale in comparison to the fact that he has held opponents to a .199 batting average and his WHIP (walks plus hits per innings pitched) is a sparkling 1.01. The Southern League All-Star Game is scheduled for the 12th of July in Huntsville, Alabama.
- Eri Yoshida gets her fourth start of the season on Friday night as the Chico Outlaws face the St. George Roadrunners. Yoshida enters the game with a 5.25 ERA. This Week in Baseball (TWIB) will be in Chico on Friday to do a segment on The Knuckle Princess.
Thursday, July 1, 2010
Seal Blubber Bits - Canada Day Edition
In honour of Canada's newest territory, Nunavut, we present these tasty Seal Blubber Bits to gnaw on:
Posted by Gus at 9:53 PM