Thursday, June 18, 2009

Jamar Hill Lid Watch

With our boys set to return to Royal Athletic Park on Friday night, there is a lot to look forward to this weekend. On the lighter side of things, I can't help but get caught up in the Jamar Hill Lid Watch. Now before I go too far, I want to make it clear that I don't want members of the Jamar Hill Fan Club to send hate mail my way. I'm just having a little fun here (if I was THAT serious a guy I'd be writing a blog on climate change).

You may remember that I chided Jamar shortly after the home opener for still having his name written on the back of his batting helmet. Well as of last weekend (see photo on the right), his name tag was still firmly affixed to his lid. Which begs the question: How long will the name tag remain on his batting helmet? Can it last the entire season?

Jamar, you need to relax. You have made the team. Everybody knows you and your teammates aren't going to steal your helmet or pick it up and use it by accident. It's safe to take off the label, buddy.

Of course, it's possible that Jamar is a lot smarter than we think:
  • In an earlier post, I mentioned that Jamar gets the loudest cheers at RAP out of all of the Seals.

  • Bubba also wrote a post that was critical of the fact that Victoria doesn't put player names on the back of their jerseys.

Putting two and two together, maybe Jamar's popularity has to do with the fact that he's the only one with his name clearly visible. Unless you're in the cheap seats, you can't miss him. It's all about marketing, my friends.